I was playing around in my kitchen today and came up with these little coconut delight dog biscuits. In a world where so many of us are going co-co-nutty for coconut everything, I thought I’d see how the little ones liked the addition of coconut water (an ingredient I had never used in my dog biscuits, but have been wanting to for quite some time).
Since coconut oil is regularly featured in my recipes, I figured it would be a hit with my two pooches. Turns out, I was right. From the time I started kneading my dough, my pups were right by my feet doing their little paw dance. You know, the one where they stand on their hind legs and wiggle around. Don’t you just find that dance the cutest?!
When the dog biscuits finally came out of the oven, I knew they were going to be a hit. First of all, they smelled amazing. Second, I tried one and my taste buds were quite pleased. Don’t laugh! Since my homemade dog treat recipes are made from natural human ingredients, I always like to taste the final product.
After I gave them my stamp of approval, I passed a biscuit to each of my dogs and they gobbled them right up. You can say they went co-co-nuts for these coconut delight dog biscuits.
So clearly this recipe is both human and canine approved!
A quick note about the coconut water:
When buying your coconut water, read the ingredient label carefully. Make sure that the only ingredient it has is “coconut water.” I know it sounds silly, but when I went shopping for my coconut water I found many brands contain added ingredients. In fact, the only brand I found in my local shop that was purely “coconut water” was Zico. Crazy, right?!
It’s definitely worth the search, though. While you could use regular H20, coconut water is great for your pup’s health. A few benefits include:
- Fights bad bacteria and viruses
- Protects against infections
- Provides beneficial electrolytes
- Supports heart health
- Supports healthy digestion
- Helps balance insulin levels
- Helps keep coat shiny
- Fights bad dog breath
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
- - 3 cups brown rice flour
- - 1 cup coconut flour
- - 1 cup coconut water
- - 2 eggs
- - 2 tablespoons honey
- - 2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- Preheat Oven To 350º
- Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Add the rice flour and coconut flour to a large bowl and whisk them together.
- Make a well in the center of the flours.
- Add beaten eggs, honey, coconut oil and coconut water.
- Mix until combined and then knead it for a few minutes until you form it into a smooth dough ball.
- Roll the dough ball out to about 1/4" in thickness.
- Cut shapes out with a cookie cutter and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake in 350º oven for about 20 minutes.
- Keep and eye on them as everybody's oven can be different which could alter baking times.
- *When buying your coconut water, read the label on the bottle. Make sure that the only ingredient it has is "coconut water."
- *Storage ~ One week in refrigerator. Up to three months in freezer.