On weekends, I like to go all out for breakfast. For the humans, I typically whip up eggs, French toast, hash browns, bacon, sausage, and orange juice in wine glasses. So delicious. For the dogs, I make them their own plate of scrambled eggs. They go nuts for eggs. In an attempt to squeeze more veggies into their diet, I decided to bump their breakfast up a notch and created these Doggie Veggie Frittatas. They were such a hit, they’ve become a weekend brunch staple in my household. Check out this video to see my little man chowing down:
Since I had spinach in the fridge the first time I made this recipe, I created spinach frittatas. But you can really use any dog-approved veggie. Try it out with kale, zucchini, or carrots. If you use spinach or kale, make sure to thinly slice the leaves before mixing them into the eggs. If you’re using zucchini or carrots, I recommended grating them!
Spice Up Your Frittatas
I added turmeric to my frittatas because it’s a super spice with amazing health benefits (check out the benefits here). If you don’t have turmeric on hand, or your dog doesn’t care for the flavor, you can either swap it for a little ground ginger or leave it out completely.
What You’ll Need
Aside from the ingredients, you will need a:
- Knife to chop the spinach
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone mold for baking
Since I have two small dogs, I used the mini paw print silicone mold below. I really love the frittatas when they’re shaped like paw prints because I think they’re adorable, but you can use any mold your heart desires. I promise your dog won’t care!
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
- - 2 large eggs
- - 1/4 tsp turmeric
- - 1 packed cup of spinach, finely chopped
- - Olive oil, to coat pan
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Crack two eggs into a medium-size bowl and mix.
- Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric to eggs, mix, and set aside.
- Measure one cup packed spinach.
- Remove stems and finely chop spinach.
- Add spinach to eggs and mix well.
- Grease silicone mold tray with olive oil.
- Fill each mold in silicone tray 3/4 way up. The eggs will puff up when baking.
- Bake in oven for approximately 20 minutes. Stick a toothpick into the center of each frittata to check doneness. Toothpick will come out clean when done.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then remove frittatas from mold.
- - Do not underbake or frittatas will be runny.
- - Do not serve straight from the oven so they don't burn your dog's mouth.
- - Store cooled frittatas in refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
- - Yields will vary depending on mold size and spinach amount.