You’ve heard their names plenty of times and maybe even fill your pup’s bowl with their products—Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘N Bits, Ol’ Roy, and Skippy. Today, these brands are under fire. Select canned wet foods are getting pulled from shelves across the nation due to the potential to contain low levels of pentobarbital, a euthanasia drug.
J.M. Smucker Company—the brands’ owner—issued a voluntary withdrawal (not recall) for the foods in question. An email from Smucker’s officials that was sent to Dog Food Advisor stated:
“Veterinarians and animal nutrition specialists, as well as the FDA, have confirmed that extremely low levels of pentobarbital, like the levels reported to be in select shipments, do not pose a threat to pet safety.
However, the presence of this substance at any level is not acceptable to us and not up to our quality standards. We sincerely apologize for the concern this has caused.”
While the amount of pentobarbital found was reportedly not a lethal level, it’s important to note that any trace of the drug is not permitted in pet food.
How The Euthanasia Drug Was Detected
Reporters at ABC7, an affiliate news station in Washington, DC, spent months investigating what’s in dog food. They partnered with Ellipse Analytics, a lab specializing in food testing. Their findings were shocking, launching an FDA investigation and eventually this action by Smukers.
Watch ABC7’s latest report:
Which Foods Consumers Should Lookout For
According to a withdrawal notice, the following canned wet foods are pulled from shelves:
- Gravy Train Beef 13.2oz/12 – UPC# 7910052879
- Gravy Train Beef/Chicken/Liver 13.2oz – UPC #7910051934
- Gravy Train Chunks In Gravy/Beef 13.2oz/12 – UPC#7910034417
- Gravy Train Chunks In Gravy/Chicken 13.2oz/12 – UPC#7910034418
- Gravy Train Chunks In Gravy/Lamb 13.2oz/12 – UPC#7910052543
- Gravy Train Chunks W/Beef 22oz – UPC#7910051647
- Gravy Train Chunks W/Chicken 22oz – UPC#7910051645
- Gravy Train Chunks W/TBone Flavor 13.2oz – UPC#7910052541
- Gravy Train Strips W/Beef 13.2oz – UPC#7910052542
- Kibbles ‘N Bits 12 CT Beef/Chicken Variety Pack – UPC#7910010393
- Kibbles ‘N Bits 12 CT Meatball Variety Pack – UPC#7910010383
- Kibbles ‘N Bits Beef/Chicken 12 PK VP – UPC#7910027751
- Kibbles ‘N Bits Beef/Chicken Variety Pack – UPC# 7910048358
- Kibbles ‘N Bits Meatball 12 PK VP – UPC#7910027750
- Kibbles ‘N Bits Meatball/Pasta Variety Pack – UPC#7910048359
- Kibbles ‘N Bits Wet Dog Burger & Turkey 12 PK VP – UPC#7910027685
- Ol’ Roy Turkey/Bacon 13.2oz/12 – UPC#68113117570
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Select Cuts In Gravy W/Beef & Bone Marrow – UPC#7910071860
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Select Cuts W/Burgers & Cheese Bits – UPC#7910050243
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Chunks In Gravy W/Smoky Turkey & Bacon – UPC#7910050246
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Chunks In Gravy W/Beef & Chicken – UPC#7910050247
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Chunks In Gravy 3 In 1 Chicken, Beef & Liver – UPC#7910050248
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Chunks In Gravy Chunky Stew – UPC#7910050249
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Strips In Gravy W/Chicken – UPC#7910050244
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Chunks In Gravy W/Beef – UPC#7910050250
- Skippy 13.2oz Premium Strips In Gravy W/Beef – UPC#7910050245
Feed One Of These Foods?
This incident raises major concern over the quality of food we’re feeding our four-legged companions. Concerned consumers are encouraged to contact Smuckers at 800-828-9980 or via email here.