I have yet to meet a dog who isn’t obsessed with peanut butter. A whiff of the nutty, creamy goodness has the power to make most dogs’ butts go wild—a little shake and wag! Does this describe your canine cutie to a T? If so, get ready because your pooch is in for a real treat with these homemade Peanut Butter Pumpkin Gluten-Free Biscuits!
Trust me … this is my little Diego’s response to them:
As always, my homemade dog treat recipes are filled with wholesome ingredients that you or I would eat.
Brown Rice and Oat Flours: Both of these flours are naturally gluten-free! So these treats are perfect for the pooch who suffers from a gluten intolerance or simply eats a gluten-free diet for health reasons.
Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is loaded with healthy fats and protein, which are great for your pooch. When picking out the perfect jar to use in your homemade dog treats, though, make sure to read the ingredient label very carefully. Some brands use Xylitol to sweeten their peanut butter, which is incredibly toxic to dogs.
100% Pure Pumpkin Purée: Loaded with fiber, pumpkin purée is great for your dog’s digestive health. Just make sure to use 100% pure pumpkin purée and not pumpkin pie filling, which is loaded with not-so-good-for-your-dog spices and sugar!
Honey: This is really to give the treats a hint of sweetness—since dogs naturally have a sweet tooth! I like to use a raw, organic honey. It’s important to note that if you’re trying to cut all sugars from your dog’s diet then you can simply leave the honey out. I’ve baked these treats both with and without the honey—dogs love them both ways and the end product has the same texture.
Let’s Talk Cookie Cutters
Before you start baking homemade dog treats, it’s always fun to stock up on cute dog cookie cutters. For these, I used my favorite dog bone cutter. It’s very sturdy and super cheap on Amazon. If you need one, here’s a link:
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Gluten-Free Dog Treat Recipe
- - 3 cups of brown rice flour
- - 1 cup oat flour
- - 3/4 cup water
- - ½ cup organic peanut butter
- - ½ cup 100% Pure Pumpkin
- - 2 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add brown rice flour and oat flour into a large bowl.
- Blend together with a whisk.
- Add remaining ingredients - water, peanut butter, pumpkin, and honey.
- Mix until it's all blended.
- Knead with your hands for 3-5 minutes then form into a large dough ball.
- Roll the dough ball out approximately ¼" thick.
- Use your cookie cutter and cut out your biscuits.
- Place them onto the parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- If you want a harder texture, turn off heat and let the treats cool in the oven. They will continue to dry out and harden as they cool.
- Store them in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or store them up to 3 months in freezer.