O.M.G. your dogs are in for a real treat with these homemade honey glazed sweet potato pup fries. They are sort of like French fries, but way healthier. The only ingredients in these pup fries are sweet potatoes and pure honey. I recommended using a raw, organic honey. That way it’s not loaded with tons of added sugar and chemicals.
I recently started making these pup fries and my dogs are seriously OBSESSED! When they see me open the refrigerator door, they usually aren’t too far behind. They will just stand there whimpering until I give them one. So, of course, I give them one. Then when they gobble it down and run over to me begging for another, I usually break down and give them another. I figure, why not? They are low fat, pack a nutritional punch, and they’re delicious!!! OKAY … you caught me. I may have tasted one (or two)! They’re pretty hard to resist!
*WARNING: Just like a human baby, puppies should not have honey until they get a little older and their immune systems are more mature. So this recipe is intended for dogs 1+.
- - 1 giant sweet potato (or 2 med)
- - 1/4 cup of 100% Pure Honey
- Preheat the oven to 250º.
- Use a cookie sheet with sides and line the bottom with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place a rack in the pan, so the air can circulate.
- Peel and rinse the sweet potato.
- Slice into strips for pup fries (about 1/4” - 1/2” thick).
- Put the sweet potato strips in a bowl and coat with honey.
- Line coated potato strips onto rack - not touching.
- Cook in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook for another 90 minutes.
- Since all ovens can vary, check the fries as they are cooking. They will be bendable when you take them out of the oven. Let them cool and they will get stiffer. If you want a harder more crunchy pup fry, cook it a little longer. As you experiment you will figure out what is best for you. For me, my little toy Tina is 11 years old and she’s lost a few teeth, so for her, I like them a little softer.