Only 3 ingredients … it doesn’t get any easier than this, folks!
This was the very first DIY dog treat I ever made for my pups. To say they loved it would be an understatement! The recipe is actually a spinoff on one of Cesar Millan’s recipes. I changed up the ingredients, making it a bit simpler and healthier.
I decided it was time to start making my dogs homemade snacks after taking a magnifying lens to their store-bought treat bags. Processed. Full of preservatives. Loaded with artificial coloring and ingredients I couldn’t pronounce. I knew something needed to change.
Since I first made this quick and easy dog biscuit recipe, I’ve done a lot of experimenting. While this is a great starter recipe (since it’s made from only 3 ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now), don’t forget to scroll through my other recipes. I make everything from gluten-free snacks to frozen treats to help your pooch beat the heat!
A Little About This Recipe
Once you mix all of your ingredients together (oats, homemade chicken broth or water, and an egg), you will use your hands to form a dough ball. Note: Your dough ball will be sticky! If you’ve ever worked with a sticky dough before, you know it can get a bit messy at times. That’s why, to make the dough easier to work with, I let mine sit for 15 minutes. This allowed the dough to dry out a bit. If you use a rolling pin and cookie cutter to shape your treats, you might also want to sprinkle a little oat flour on your countertop (or whatever surface you’re spreading your dough onto), as well as on top of the dough ball before you begin rolling it flat.
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
- - 3 cups Oatmeal instant oats
- - 3/4 cup homemade chicken broth (or water)
- - 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Then knead the dough together for about 3 minutes. The dough will be a little sticky.
- Let it set for about 15 minutes and it will get a little drier.
- You can shape it free-hand or you can roll it with a rolling pin and use cookie cutters for your shapes.
- Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week on counter, two weeks in refrigerator, or three months in freezer.