Eating a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods doesn’t only benefit us humans, but also our canine kids! That’s because chronic inflammation is the root of nearly all diseases. In fact, cancer, arthritis, and digestive disease are all linked to inflammation (in humans and dogs).
Before I go any further, I want to mention that not all inflammation is bad. When your pup is injured or exposed to viruses/bacteria, inflammation releases white blood cells to the surrounding body tissue and starts the healing process. This is called acute inflammation. But when inflammation persists for weeks, months, or even years (AKA chronic inflammation), it becomes a problem.
Eating a healthy diet is one way to keep inflammation at bay. Along with feeding your pooch whole food meals, you can easily add anti-inflammatory ingredients – like turmeric and flax seeds – to their homemade snacks. Enter these simple and nourishing biscuits.
Anti-Inflammatory Dog Biscuit Recipe
This recipe is a spin-off of my 3-Ingredient Quick and Easy Dog Biscuit Recipe. Since it’s simply made with gluten-free oats, an egg, and some water, I figured why not spice it up a bit with other great-for-your-pooch ingredients? So I added:
Turmeric is a yellow spice that’s been used for its medicinal purposes for centuries. Its powerful anti-inflammatory properties are believed to be a result of the bioactive ingredient curcumin (not to be confused with cumin). Researchers compare curcumin’s effects to anti-inflammatory drugs, ibuprofen, and aspirin. The best part? Turmeric is 100% natural and great for dogs. Keep in mind, though, a little goes a long way!
Ground Flax Seeds
Ground flax seeds tout a lot of health benefits, but their inflammation-fighting abilities are linked to their high omega-3 fatty acids content.
Since I’ve been using my bone cookie cutter a lot lately, I decided to switch it up today and make my biscuits look like little puppies. I guess you can say I baked a “pack” of cookies … haha … get it?!?!?!
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
- - 4 cups quick oats
- - 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- - 1 teaspoon turmeric
- - 1 cup water
- - 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Add water and egg.
- Mix all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Knead for about 3 minutes. This dough will be sticky.
- Let dough sit for 15 minutes, allowing the oats to soak up the water and the dough to dry.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out flat to about 1/4" thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to stamp out biscuits and place each treat on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week on counter, two weeks in refrigerator, or three months in freezer.