In a world where so many of us are going co-co-nutty for coconut everything, I figured we’ve gotta have a coconut-flavored dog biscuit. Enter: This naturally gluten-free and semi-sweet treat that’s bound to make your pup’s tail wag. It calls for 5 simple and healthy ingredients (1 being water) that you likely have in your kitchen right now!
A Look At The Ingredients
Brown Rice Flour – It’s naturally gluten-free and gives this biscuit a great texture! HERE is the brown rice flour that I use!
Coconut Flour – Offers fiber, good fat, and protein. HERE is the coconut flour that I use!
Egg – While the egg acts as a binder in this recipe, it also provides protein, vitamin D and other beneficial nutrients.
Coconut Oil – This superfood has antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. It’s also been linked to increased nutrient absorption and improved digestion. This stuff is so great, I wrote an entire blog post about it!
A Note On Measuring Flour
When measuring flour, a lot of people have the urge to take their measuring cup, stick it in the flour bag, and scoop. Does that sound familiar? While it may be the easiest way to gather a cup of flour, it won’t leave you with an accurate measurement. Instead, all of my recipes use the traditional “spoon and level” method.
- Take a spoon and fluffy up the flour so it is no longer compacted in the bag or canister.
- Spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup until it reaches the top.
- Use the back of a knife to level off the flour.
- Do not compact it, tap it, or press it down. Just leave it fluffy.
Coconut Delight Dog Biscuits
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat Oven To 350º and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour and coconut flour.
- Make a well in the center of the flours. Add water, beaten egg, and coconut oil. With a spoon, mix the ingredients until they go from wet to crumbly looking. Then, using your hands, knead the dough for several minutes, eventually forming a dough ball.
- Sandwich doughball in between two pieces of parchment paper. With a rolling pin, roll dough to about 1/4" thick. Stamp with cookie cutters and place biscuits on the baking sheet.
- Bake in 350º oven for 20. Once the timer goes off, flip the treats over and make another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them as everybody's oven can be different which could alter baking times.
- Transfer treats to a wire rack to cool.