If you’re looking for a chicken jerky recipe that’s easy, healthy, and one your fur baby will love, then you need to try this one! Don’t have a dehydrator? Don’t worry. Today, we’ll be using an oven to dry out our chicken strips.
Watch: Chicken Jerky For Dogs (3 Ways)
Watch as I show you step-by-step how to make your own. Plus, I’m sharing a few ways you can bump up the nutritional value and play around with different dog-approved flavor variations!
The Benefit Of Homemade Chicken Jerky
I started making this homemade chicken jerky a few years ago after I first looked through the ingredient label of my former favorite store-bought treats. While they were advertised as “All-Natural,” one of the first ingredients listed on the bag was sugar … followed by a whole bunch of preservatives and ingredients I couldn’t pronounce. Since I’m careful with what I feed my dogs, I immediately boycotted commercial jerky and decided I was much better off making my own.
The best part about this recipe is it only has one ingredient. That’s right … just one. CHICKEN! There are no preservatives added. No sugar. No salt. Nothing extra. Just chicken.
Well, unless you want to add some dog-approved spices … but those will just add to the health benefits!
When I gave my chicken jerky to my dogs for the first time, they gobbled it right up. I mean, what’s not to love? From your dog’s point of view, they’re getting a delicious treat. From my point of view, they are eating a low-fat, high-protein snack. That’s not to mention how easy they are to make!
Since there are no preservatives added to this jerky to extend the shelf life, they will only last for up to two weeks in an airtight container. While you don’t have to refrigerate them (because they’re dried out), I personally still like to. If you want to make a big batch at one time and don’t think your pooch will finish them in two weeks, don’t worry! You can always make and freeze them! After 15 – 20 minutes on the counter, they’re ready to serve.
Chicken Jerky For Dogs
- Olive oil, to grease wire rack
- 1 pound chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 250ºF.
- Grease a wire rack with olive oil (or coconut oil) and place on top of a cookie sheet. This will allow the air to circulate as the chicken is dehydrating. Set aside.
- Trim chicken of all visible fat.
- Slice the chicken 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the chicken slices on a rack and cook for 2 hours *(check them after an hour and then every thirty minutes or so. Everyone's oven can vary a little, so after you make them once you can adjust the time as necessary).
- Flip them over after 2 hours and continue to dehydrate in the oven for another 45 minutes, or until fully crisp.
- Want to change up the flavor? Sprinkle a conservative amount of dog-approved spices onto the chicken strips before putting them in the oven. My two favorite combos are: Ground ginger and Ground turmeric with a pinch of ground black pepper. See the video above for example!
- Since there are no preservatives added to this jerky, I personally like to keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.