Are you ever overwhelmed by the odor coming from your pooch’s mouth? Don’t be embarrassed to say yes … bad breath in dogs is very common. While I definitely recommend brushing your dog’s teeth to tackle the root of the problem (plaque, tartar, and bacteria), you can also toss your pup a breath mint! Not just any breath mint, of course. Today, I made these gluten-free fresh breath dog treats and they will definitely do the trick.
Your precious pooch doesn’t have to have stinky breath to enjoy these homemade biscuits, though. They are simply made from gluten-free flours, protein-packed eggs, odor-canceling herbs, and the superfood coconut oil. All of these ingredients are extremely healthy for your pooch (especially the coconut oil, which I dedicated an entire blog post to)!
Aside from the health and breath benefits, my dogs seem to love the flavor. I hope your little ones gobble them down as happily as mine did!
Watch To See How To Make These Fresh Breath Dog Treats
I also hope you have as much fun making these as I did. If you haven’t ordered one of a dog bone cookie cutter yet, then you’re missing out. I get such a kick out of making pretty treats!
*Please Note: If you find your dog is having continuous offensive bad breath, it’s a good idea to get him checked out by your vet. Bad breath in dogs is often a sign of a dental or medical issue.
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
Fresh Breath Dog Treats
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350º and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set Aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour, coconut flour, mint, and parsley.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add remaining wet ingredients. Mix together with a spoon or fork.
- With your hands, knead dough for several minutes, eventually forming a dough ball.
- Sandwich dough ball between two sheets of parchment paper and roll flat (about 1/4" thick) with a rolling pin.
- Using a cookie cutter, stamp out biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.