Today is a special day for my family: It’s Pippa’s 1st birthday! Isn’t it crazy how fast time flies? To celebrate the occasion, I wanted to make her a yummy fish-based dog treat (fish is her absolute favorite).
My only problem? It’s a weekday and I have a big pile of work waiting for me. So, my time is limited today. Rather than just tossing her one of the many biscuits stored in my refrigerator, I busted open a can of wild-caught salmon in water, mixed it with some shredded cheese, and pressed my mixture into a medium-size bone-shaped cookie cutter.
A party-hat wearing Pippa — along with my other pups — are in heaven! They gobbled their serving down in less than a minute.
The Base – Use a can of drained, wild caught salmon in water as your base.
Mix-Ins – I used shredded mozzarella cheese for Pippa’s birthday treat because that’s what I had in my refrigerator. But some other fun ideas include:
- Shredded carrots
- Shredded zucchini
- Chopped spinach
- Finely chopped broccoli bits
- Diced strawberries
- Smashed blueberries
- Cooked, mashed, cooled, and skinless sweet potato
Other Health Enhancers – If you would like to give these an extra health kick, you can mix some dog-approved spices, herbs, or ground seeds. Try the following:
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric with a pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- Drain a can of salmon.
- In a small mixing bowl, add other ingredients of choice. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place a medium or large-size cookie cutter on a plate.
- Spoon mixture into the cookie cutter, creating an even layer about 1/4″ thick. Remember: This is just a treat, not an entire meal! So you don’t want to over-do it on the portion size!
- Using your fingers, press to compact your mixture into the cookie cutter.
- Continue to press down on your shaped fish mixture as you carefully lift the cookie cutter.