I’m super excited because Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which is the kickoff to the holiday season. In my opinion, this is the best time of year. Family comes together to give thanks and feast on yummy food. Seriously, what could be better?!
As you start planning your Thanksgiving dinner, don’t forget about your canine kids. Whether your guests are bringing their fur babies to join in on the celebration, or it’s just your pooch that will be running around the house, why not whip up a little something special?
Enter, my newest DIY dog treats creation — Pumpkin Sweet Potato Bites.
I was playing around in the kitchen the other day, trying to figure out what I am going to serve my pups on turkey-day. I prefer not to give them table food in case the recipe maker included spices or other ingredients that are harmful to dogs. Plus, I don’t want them to get in the habit of begging at the table. Overall, I think making the dogs something special and just for them is a smart idea!
This gluten-free treat is made with brown rice flour, sweet potato, pumpkin, and a little raw maple syrup. Not only does it have a nice blend of fall flavors, it’s loaded with nutrients that are great for your dog. Take pumpkin, for example. Along with key vitamins and minerals, Pumpkin is rich in fiber, which benefits your dog’s digestive health.
Please note: Don’t use pumpkin pie filling since it contains spices that aren’t good for your dog. Instead, look for a can that says 100% Pure Pumpkin Purée.
How To Make These Treats
After you mix all of the ingredients together, roll the dough/batter into little balls. I made mine a little larger than a chickpea. You can either keep the treats as little bite-size balls (as shown in the photo below) or you can flatten them with a fork (as shown in the photo above). I feed them to my dog both ways and they don’t seem to have a shape preference. Honestly – my little guys gobble these treats down in seconds. As soon as they see me reaching to give them one, their eyes light up and their tails become a blur because they’re wagging so fast!
So make these DIY dog treats for your Thanksgiving feast, or anytime you are looking to make something a little different for your pooch!
- - 1½ Cups Brown Rice Flour
- - 1 Cup Mashed Sweet Potato
- - ½ Cup 100% Pure Pumpkin Purée
- - ½ Cup Water
- - 1 Egg
- - 2 Tablespoons 100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF ( 177ºC).
- Line (2) baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sweet potato, pumpkin, water, egg, and maple syrup until thoroughly combined. This will give you more of a very thick batter than a dough.
- With your fingers, pinch off a small amount of the mixture (approx. 3/4 tsp) and roll into little balls. Place the balls on the baking sheet spacing them about an inch apart.
- After they are placed on the parchment paper, take a fork and flatten the little balls to around a ¼” thick.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
- *Flip them over and continue baking another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on a baking rack.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container and in freezer for up to a month.
- *For crispier Pumpkin Sweet Potato Waffle Fries, continue baking until desired consistency.