Are you ready for dropping temps, colorful foliage, and indulgent comfort foods? As we celebrate all things Fall, here is a little something special for your dog.
I actually came up with this gluten-free dog treat recipe a few years back around Thanksgiving. Made with pumpkin, sweet potato, a little cinnamon, a splash of organic maple syrup, and a few other basic ingredients, this snack definitely screams “FALL!”
Watch my YouTube video as I show you step-by-step how to make these fresh bites for your pup:
The Main Ingredients
These gluten-free treats are made with (full recipe below):
Brown Rice Flour – This gluten-free flour is simply ground up grain brown rice. Adding it to your dog biscuits will give them a mild nutty flavor, which compliments the other ingredients in this treat.
Sweet Potato – Sweet potatoes provide a nice serving of fiber, key vitamins, and various minerals. When feeding them to your dog, make sure they’re unseasoned (or seasoned with dog-approved spices/herbs), peeled, cooked, and mashed.
100% Pure Pumpkin Purée – Pumpkin is considered a superfood for our canine cuties. It’s loaded with fiber, making it great for digestion and weight management. Plus, pumpkin also contains potassium and a moderate amount of protein. *This isn’t to be confused with pumpkin pie filling, which contains sugar and spices that aren’t good for dogs.
Pumpkin Sweet Potato Bites
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup 100% pure pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon organic maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together brown rice flour and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, mash sweet potato.
- Add pumpkin, water, egg, and maple syrup to sweet potato and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together with a spoon until you're left with a thick batter.
- With your fingers, pinch off a small amount of the mixture (approx. 3/4 teaspoon) and roll into little balls. Place the balls on the baking sheet, spacing them about an inch apart.
- After treats are placed on the baking sheet, take a fork and flatten the little balls to around a ¼” thick.
- Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
- Flip them over and continue baking another 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.