There are two main things that really make us dog parents smile from ear to ear. Know what they are? Our dogs and photos of our dogs! So, naturally, when I was digitally introduced to Sarah Miller, a talented painter and founder of sarahpaintspets, I couldn’t wait for her to create a custom pet portrait of my two canine kids—Diego and Gigi. Well, my watercolor painting just arrived in the mail and I’m honestly blown away.
When you order a custom pet portrait from the sarahpaintspets Etsy shop, you submit a few inspiration photos. These were mine:
As Sarah worked her magic, she transformed the images into this watercolor masterpiece:
Presentation & Customer Service:
- Sarah was a joy to work with and it’s clear she has a genuine love for animals.
- When my painting arrived in the mail, I could feel the canvas was tied to, and supported by, a hard cardboard sheet. So no need to worry about it getting folded or crinkled in the mail.
- sarahpaintspets does not offer framing services. I recommend buying a frame right after you order your painting so it’s ready to hang as soon as it arrives.
- The sarahpaintspets Etsy page estimates turnaround time between 1-2 weeks during the summer months (arrival may take a little longer between August-October). It’s worth noting that my painting did arrive within that timeframe.
The Pet Portraits:
- I think Sarah did an amazing job of capturing Gigi’s happy and energetic personality. I always call Gigi my “Happy Girl” because she has a permanent smile on her face and radiates with joy. When I look at this painting, I can feel Gigi’s presence!
- Diego, on the other hand, is much calmer. He lives for naps, treats, and his humans to service him. I also think Sarah did a great job of capturing Diego’s unique personality.
- In real life, Diego has extremely expressive eyes. You can pretty much know what he’s thinking by just looking into his eyes. In my opinion, that intensity really comes through in this painting. Can’t you imagine him thinking, “GIVE ME THAT TREAT IN YOUR HAND, MOM!”?
- While Diego’s fur was pure white as a puppy, as he’s matured, he’s developed fawn patches. Because of the great detail in this photo, his fur is perfectly portrayed.
- The detail in Gigi’s wavy hair is on point—from the larger waves in her ears to the small hairs surrounding her eyes.
Sizing and Prices
The feature image of Diego and Gigi is 11×15. But sarahpaintspets offers a variety of sizes, including:
- Greeting cards
Sarah offers a free personalized greeting card with every portrait order. Here is one with Diego and Gigi:
Prices range from $10-185.
The Perfect Gift
This custom pet portrait by sarahpaintspets is something I will have and cherish for the rest of my life. If you’re looking for a thoughtful and quality gift—either for yourself or a fellow dog lover—a custom pet portrait may be just what you need!
sarahpaintspets all started on October 20th, 2016. I was searching for an anniversary present for my boyfriend and, being a typical poor college student, I didn’t have the money for a nice gift. Something not as typical about me is that I can paint. So I painted a watercolor portrait of his orange tabby, Merlin, and he loved it.
After that, I started doing portraits for other college students at my school. Today, my business has expanded far off campus and I’ve painted over 300 fur babies!
I work very hard to translate a pet parent’s love onto paper and I’d love to paint your pet too!