These sweet potato-based bark-worthy muffins are filled with the Fall flavors many of us start craving once the leaves begin changing colors. But the tail-wagging good taste and easy-to-chew soft texture is just the tip of the iceberg. These treats are also loaded with beneficial nutrients, which we’ll talk about in just a second!
So what are you waiting for? With only 5 minutes of prep time, and a few ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen, your four-legged fur ball is about to be one very happy pooch!
Watch It In Action
Sweet Potato – Sweet potatoes provide a nice serving of fiber, key vitamins, and various minerals. When feeding them to your dog, make sure they’re unseasoned (or seasoned with dog-approved spices/herbs), peeled, cooked, and mashed.
Carrots – Carrots are well known for their vitamin A. But they also contain immune-boosting vitamin C, digestive-aiding fiber, and overall body-benefiting potassium.
Egg – While the eggs act as a binder in this recipe, they also provide some protein!
Ginger – Ginger is a super spice that’s been used for its medicinal purposes for nearly 2,000 years. Just like with humans, it can help soothe a dog’s upset stomach, relieve nausea, and ease motion sickness. Along with aiding digestion, ginger has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties!
Cinnamon – In small doses, cinnamon is believed to improve brain function and boost energy. Additionally, cinnamon has natural anti-fungal properties.
Sweet Potato Puppy Muffins
- Coconut oil, to grease muffin tin
- 1/2 cup sweet potato (cooked, mashed, and no skin)
- 1/2 cup peeled and finely grated carrot lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a mini muffin tin with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Simply using a spoon, thoroughly combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, filling all the way up. They will not rise.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and then carefully transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Since I only recommend storing these treats in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, you will notice this recipe only yields 12 mini muffins. If you need more then simply double the recipe.