In my house, it’s not only the humans who have oatmeal for breakfast. My fur babies wait for their serving too! Many mornings they wake up to this two-ingredient puppy parfait and if they could tell you themselves they would let you know it’s “droolicious!” They literally stand at my feet drooling while they wait for me to serve them.
Aside from my puppies loving the flavor, it’s also incredibly easy to make (it takes about 5 minutes) and is extremely healthy. Oatmeal is a great source of fiber, antioxidants, iron, zinc, B vitamins, and essential fatty acids. It’s also a great alternative for dogs that have wheat allergies. As for yogurt, it’s rich in calcium and protein. The live cultures in some yogurt brands also give your pooch a good dose of beneficial probiotic, which is great for their digestive health.
When choosing oatmeal it’s important to use only plain oatmeal without any added flavors and never use one that contains any artificial sweeteners. When selecting a yogurt, look for one that has live active cultures, no sugar, and no artificial sweeteners.
As with any dietary changes or additions, start slowly to make sure your pet tolerates it.
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
- - 1/4 cup oatmeal (plain quick oats)
- - 1/2 cup water
- - 2 heaping tbsp of Vanilla Greek Yogurt (no sugar, no artificial sweeteners)
- Put oatmeal and water in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for one minute.
- Remove, stir, and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place a layer of oatmeal in a bowl.
- Then a layer of yogurt.
- Repeat one more layer of oatmeal then yogurt.
- *This recipe serves my 2 small dogs ~ you can add a little more or less ingredients depending on your pup's size and weight. When measuring just try to keep your ratio of oatmeal to water at 1 part oatmeal to 2 parts water for a good consistency.
- *If you don't want to layer, you can just mix it all together.
- *Diced apples (no seeds), blueberries, strawberries, banana pieces or any other dog friendly fruit can always be added as an extra special treat.