This warmer weather has put me in such a tropical mood. Along with busting out my colorful summer dresses, I’ve filled my kitchen with tons of fruit, ice pops, and other summer treats. Yummmmyyyyyy. I figured, since I’m all ready for summer, my dogs must be too. That’s why when I started running out of my last batch of biscuits, I decided to play around with new ingredients. The result — these Tropical Gluten-Free dog treats!
There are only five ingredients in these treats, none of which involve gluten products. So if your dog has a gluten sensitivity, these are the perfect treats to make.
Are Oats Gluten-Free?
While oats are considered gluten-free they are sometimes grown in fields along with gluten products so there could be cross contamination. If you want your dog eating completely gluten-free then look for oats that have the “gluten-free” label.
This recipe yields about 130 bites. That may sound like a lot, but judging by how much my pups love them, they won’t last long!
- - 2 cups oat flour
- - ¼ cup organic coconut flour
- - 1 banana
- - 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple in its own juice
- - 2 Tbs coconut oil
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine banana, pineapple with the juice, and coconut oil.
- Puree it in a blender or food processor until the mixture is smooth.
- Put the mixture into a large bowl and add coconut flour.
- Mix well.
- Add oat flour one cup at a time and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Knead into a dough ball. It's a moist dough and will be sticky.
- Let the dough ball stand for about 15 minutes
- While the dough ball is standing ~ Preheat oven to 350º
- Take small bits of dough and roll into about 1/2" circles and then flatten.
- Place on baking sheet in rows leaving a little room between them.
- Place in 350º oven and bake for 28 minutes.
- Turn oven off and let them cool in the oven. This will continue to dry the bites so they become hard. If you want a softer consistency, remove bites and let cool on the stovetop.
- Store in airtight container for a week in refrigerator or up to 3 months in freezer.
- *This dough will be sticky when rolling, so you may need to rinse your hands a couple of times while preparing your bites.
- *As with all our recipes, they're natural and have no preservatives so store them appropriately.
- *These are snacks and should be fed in moderation as all snacks should.