Unlike most of the other biscuit recipes here on Proud Dog Mom—which create a crunchy snack for your canine companion—these soft chew dog treats are … well … soft on the inside. Once baked, they have more of a bread or cake-like texture. Since they don’t require any real jaw power to chomp through, they’re perfect for both baby and senior Fido … and every age in between!
So What’s In Them?
Flour – The only flour I used in these treats is a little coconut flour, which is both gluten-free and grain-free.
Ground Flax Seeds – They’re rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and pack a small amount of protein.
Pumpkin Purée – Loaded with fiber, pumpkin purée is great for your dog’s digestive health. Just make sure to use 100% pure pumpkin purée and not pumpkin pie filling, which is loaded with not-so-good-for-your-dog spices and sugar!
Eggs – While the eggs act as a binder in this recipe, they also provide some protein!
Banana – Bananas are high in potassium, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. Along with the health benefits, the banana in this recipe gives off a strong aroma and flavor, leaving you with one bark-worthy treat!
Coconut Oil – This superfood has antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. It’s also been linked to increased nutrient absorption, improved digestion, improved breath, and weight management. This stuff is so great, I wrote an entire blog post about it!
Prep This Soft Chew Recipe In Minutes
Another benefit? Prep time is practically slashed in half because you don’t have to whip out any cookie cutters and stand there stamping out shapes. Simply pour and spread your batter onto a baking sheet, score little squares, and pop them into the oven. It’s that simple!
Make your squares as large or as small as you would like, depending on your dog’s size. A quick note: When they’re cut into small squares, they make perfect training treats!
Want More Healthy Dog Treat Recipes Like This?
Get your paws on a copy of my dog treat cookbook, Proud Dog Chef: Tail-Wagging Good Treat Recipes. Filled with 60 gluten-free and grain-free recipes that range from biscuits and pupcakes to jerky and veggie chips, your canine companion is in for a real treat!
The Full Soft Chew Recipe
Banana Bread Soft Chew Dog Treat
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a small baking sheet (9x13”) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add coconut flour and ground flaxseeds. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin purée, eggs, mashed banana, and coconut oil.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix together with a spoon until thoroughly combined and consistency reaches a thick batter.
- Spoon your thick batter mixture onto the baking sheet, creating an even layer approximately 1/4” thick. Let mixture set for approximately 5 minutes.
- Once on baking sheet, use a knife to score both horizontal and vertical lines, creating little squares.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once completely cooled, break or cut treats along the scored lines. You will be left with little square treats.