With just one ingredient, dog treat making doesn’t get much easier than this! These sardine treats are crunchy yet easy for dogs to chew, tail-wagging yummy, and incredibly healthy. Another plus? The prep is about 5 minutes!
Watch How Easy This Treat Is To Make
I recently launched a web series called Food Facts Friday, where I spotlight a “human food” that’s healthy for our canine companions. Sardines earned a spot on the list! They’re rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, various vitamins, and key minerals. Thanks to their large nutrient profile, these tiny fish have been linked to many health benefits.
Experts say they benefit:
- Immune system
- Skin and coat
To find out more about sardines and why they’re so healthy for dogs, check out the full Food Facts article HERE!
Sardines: When selecting the perfect can of sardines for this recipe, look for one that’s boneless, skinless, plain (no flavors added), no salt added, in water! This is the brand I use:
Baking Sheet: Any baking sheet will do! If you’re in the market for new baking sheets, I use the Nordic Ware set. They’re super affordable and good quality.
Parchment Paper: I stockpile parchment paper because I use it for pretty much every dog treat recipe. I personally like the pre-cut sheets by Reynolds, but any parchment paper you have is great!
Kitchen Gloves: Okay, you don’t actually need kitchen gloves to make this recipe. But, since we’re dealing with stinky fish, I like to cover my hands.
Sardine Crisps Recipe
- 1 can sardines (boneless, skinless, plain, in water)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set that aside.
- Drain canned sardines.
- Carefully remove sardines from the can and split in half, lengthwise. (See video above for example). Some sardines may break, depending on how tightly packed the can was. That's okay -- you can still use the smaller pieces. But, try to do this step carefully to keep each piece intact.
- Blot sardine halves with a paper towel to pull out any excess moisture and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crunchy.